'Sheryl''s Lost Ride

I didn't ride today. The workers started on the kitchen renovation, so I had to haul some tennis stuff back to school, and carrying a tennis hopper full of balls with anything less than an Extrabike would be impossible.

I also had tennis after school, and this proved fortuitous for 'Sheryl', b/c she had a mega-flat on her commuter; it was too gashed and torn to boot, so she needed a lift, and our schedules corresponded. Also, the boys had after-school activities and needed picking up, so the confluence of the three situations created a vortex of interesting events. I'm getter there; Bear with me. About 2 months ago 'sheryl' had her "Biketown" bike stolen from her backyard. This bike was from a program run by Bicycling magazine (I'm not putting a link in. It's a terrible rag), in which people write/wrote an essay how and why they needed a new hybrid Trek bike, and the winners received one. 'sheryl', being slightly insane, won and that became her long-time commuter. It's a basic Trek hybrid, hers with a rack an fenders, but for many regular cyclists it would be unassuming, and even more so unimpressive. That said, 'sheryl' has put in more commuter trips the last 3 years- not miles mind you- than 'lance' or myself. They had to jump an 8-ft wooden security fence to fetch it. No mean feat.

I'm almost there.

We 4 were returning to our respective neighborhood, the Highlands, when it a vociferous tone 'sheryl' exclaimed, "There's my bike!! My bike!! That woman is on my bike!!". That part of Broadway is mostly 'Hood. There are some public housing projects close by, numerous eateries shucking fried nastiness, and lots and lots of bars on windows. According to her appearance, this woman certainly belonged in the area. Now it all gets a little racist. 'sheryl' was sure, so I turned around the truck in pursuit. She went down a side street, but we finally caught up to her. 'sheryl' jumped out and confronted the woman, well, sort of confronted her. By this time we were directly in front of the projects with all the homies out and about in the street, sidewalk and stoop. I think 'sheryl' wanted to take her on; it WAS her bike, but how do you confront a mean-looking tough-livin' woman directly in front of her housing project with all the peeps looking on. Disaster was imminent. The woman took off into the project with the bike leaving 'sheryl' to decide "Pursue or don't Pursue". I took the liberty of finding some references on Shepard Square. See for yourself: 1, 2, 3, 4.

We drove around the corner and found her again. She didn't give a rat's ass. 'sheryl' had filed a police report, so she was going home to call, but do you believe they'll find her again? that they'll take time from finding murderers and gang-bangers to fetch her $300 hybrid? Lightening can strike twice, you know.

Did a little projecting on the 9.2.5. You're gonna like it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry about this (and the post about your fellow teacher). I would not call Louisville a "murder capital" -- Philly's way ahead of that, as I think we're up to about 200 murders so far this year. Philly and Louisville are similar in that most murders occur in certain neighborhoods and aren't likely to happen in the middle of town in daylight, for instance.

Unless I had some proof on the bike itself that it was mine (a serial number etched into it or something), I wouldn't pursue someone about it. It's one person's story vs. another's, and without proof it's nothing.

Good luck with the kitchen!

--Laura

Popular Posts