Tommy

7.45 in senior cafeteria. approaches "Thomas XXX". have a speaking and reasonably positive affable relationship with said "Thomas".
"Hey 'Tommy'".
"Don't call me Tommy!". It's a name, not a racial pejorative etc.
"Why can't I call you 'Tommy'?"
"I'm tired of your shit. You're a fucking asshole and always have been!".

Hmm, hell of way to start the morning. I've always gotten along with the guy. I respect him and think he's a great teacher. One of his kids attends my kids' school. An "acquaintance" but a good guy. Yes, I'm caustic. A Smartass. A fat kid who had to sharpen the wit to keep from being beaten up and eaten alive. But this is a person I've gotten along with. I'm traumatized. Went to lunch with some other "friends".

"Yea, you're an asshole."

Said "in jest" and "with affection", but I guess I'm an asshole, at least to those with whom I'm close. Do YOU care if you're an asshole to those random non-existent pod people? But your "friends"?

Confused and bothered.

Comments

Popular Posts