Pavo! er.... Guajalote!














Date: Nov 22 Thurs
Mileage: 22 (Crosscheck)
November mileage: 330
Year to date: 2378

Yes, we know it as the "turkey". In Spanish it's commonly called el pavo, but there are also other terms. In Mexico, the nahuatl guajolote is commonly used, and that seems sensible to me. If the guajolote is a native North American/Central American species, then why not call it one of the most original terms? In doing some extensive research, I also found that it's known as the chompipe (chohm-pee-peh), a funny name that's sort of fun to say as well. And even moreso, field&stream presented me this nice pic of turkey asses, so I couldn't but help share it with you.

Oh, and I took a Turkey Day ride too on the Crosscheck. I didn't even change wheels, just doing some macho mileage on the relatively slight knobbies on the Ritchey Crossmax tires. It was quite a weather event of a ride. The temp stayed a constant 41F or so with a stiff breeze, but I started in the semi-sunny, semi-cloudy skies. Those quickly turned to very grey, slate skies which then turned to rainy skies. There's no better feeling than a bike ride at 40F with rain. It's fortunate that I had the gore-tex jacket on for the first time in a while. And in my last 3m or so, the sunny began peeking out from behind the clouds giving the wet, leaf-ridden streets a nice healthy sheen.

Oh, and I saw a Kingfisher along Beargrass Trail, similar to last year's early winter siting. and then the fooding commenced.

Peace

Comments

Popular Posts