Southside Ramble

Date: Jan 10 Fri
Mileage: 31 (Bleriot)
January mileage: 109
Year to date: 109

After a lame non-start yesterday I wanted to make up a bit of mileage to end a tough week of work. To be honest my legs haven't exactly been there this week, b/c that's alright. Instead of the same ol' Riverwalk ride I headed south towards Iroquois Pk., the old stomping grounds of my 22 yr-old self and older neighborhood of my father in his youth. I winded around Churchill Downs, Wyndotte Pk and near Iroquois H.S. into Iroquois Pk, where I headed up to the top. I love, love, love the top of Iroquois. I took some pics of the meadow in Oct of '06 about the same time of year- earthen tones, grass crackling, barren denuded trees standing sentinel in open meadow. Love it! I decided today that if I were to come upon mucho moola and bought my hermitage spread, part of it would like this below. I think this pic was taken more in fall and doesn't quite capture the winter desperation and solitude, but today's trip engendered in me a need to revisit and to evoke such a great place via new pics.

The trip home included snaking through the original 'South End', across towards UL/Cardinal Stadium, through the Fairgrounds and finally through Audabon Pk. I wouldn't say I was fresh through the 2nd portion today, but I'm satisfied with my 31miles today and it probably was my best accomplishment of the day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, did you see my dad out raking leaves or something?

--Laura
LvilleTex said…
no but i always check out the house when i go by. i actually turned on the street just to the west, next to the house with all the columns.
Anonymous said…
That house on the corner used to have a family in it that we were friends with -- four little girls, the two oldest of whom were friends of my brother's. I babysat for all of them. They moved away. The people who live there now are a little more decadent -- applied for a permit to have a "heated" garage for their Hummer, according to Dad.
--Laura

Popular Posts