Bald Eagle

Wow, on a beautiful day L and I had the good fortune of a most extraordinary sighting this morning. The family spent all day Saturday at sporting contests: 2 outdoor games, 2 basketball games, and 1 indoor soccer game. Today L had the 2nd day of his tournament in E'town, which is a 45 minute drive from home. Traveling 65 South just south of Sheperdsville and just south of the exit to Bernheim forest I spied a large presence sitting on a top branch of a tree. It was a Bald Eagle with its brown body and white head. He was perched overlooking a pond/lake just off the highway. I hollered at L and he got a good sighting too. I actually had a camera with me, but we were short on time and needed to get to pre-game.

I'm quite, quite surprised. I've never personally seen one. I know they are sighted in KY, especially at Land Between the Lakes in western KY. A colleague of mine attends a somewhat annual boat/eagle-sighting tour on either KY Lake or Lake Barkley. I'm otherwise shocked to see one this far east and so near L'Ville (25m). Some of my readers may see them like I see cardinals, but it was a great site to see on a beautiful day.

Once we got home from soccer I intended to take a ride, but instead worked in the yard with Z and a friend playing soccer next door. I enjoyed the relaxation and repetition of preparing the garden for spring.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, I had no idea there were bald eagles in KY! I saw one at a great distance canoeing in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota in college. Sounds like an awesome moment!
--Laura

Popular Posts