Snow Event

Date: March 7 Sat
Mileage: 11 (Monocog)
March mileage: 11
Year to date: 442

Simply amazing. The "blizzard" did come in its own pleasant way. The official measurement in my yard is 10", which came in 2 batches, 1 yesterday and the most last night and this morning. It's 11.05 and it's been steadily snowing since I got up at 7.00, no, 6.00. I didn't want to up, but nature doth call.

After seemingly weeks of sloth, I knew I had to take advantage of such an event. This is our biggest snow in at least 5 years, and it's in March to boot. In this kinds of conditions I harken back to my most "extreme" snow adventure night these many years. In 1994 Louisville experienced a 2-day 20"+ snow with temps hovering around 0F for days. For this neck of the woods that was true blizzard. On that day, being stuck home from school for the first day of a 2-week snow-in, I ventured out on my old black and pink (yes, early-90s you know) Cannondale and headed towards my friend Chris' Old Louisville apartment. If he could make it to work he would receive triple pay. The good wife managed to take the bus to work to get double pay so I need my fair share of out-of-apartment time. It was 4F and I had lots and lots and lots of layers on. Now, after another 14 years experience I could do it in half the clothing, but I'm not even sure I had lycra tights at the time. I rode in the bus tracks and made the 4-mile ride without too many problems. Once I got to his 4th-floor apartment I almost went into cardiac arrest from his radiator heat. I helped push him out and he got to work. I think he might have taken me home in the car; I don't exactly remember.

Today didn't quite measure up to that scale. It was a brisk 20F with lots of sideways blowing snow. I choose the SS Monocog b/c the tires have so much more tread than those on the C'dale. I dressed picture perfect, using the lady boots to full effect and for the first time I used foot warmers. I guess they did the job b/c I didn't have one cold toe even after a fair amount of walking in snow that came above the boot top. In thinking both of the '94 ride and today's I have a new-found respect for Doug's and Jill's exploits in those frozen lands. To think that I managed to make it through today's exploit, but that I would have to multiply it by 10, 11, or 12 to equal the same feat, and that with colder temps. What struck me almost throughout today's ride was the ever-changing snow conditions. I was constantly finding lines that went from 10" pure snow drifts to slush to icy slush to compact snow. I would have blessed runs of a quarter mile with nary a traction problem with an immediate change to never-ending slip&slide washouts no matter how I tried to stay afloat. I did have to walk some, but not too much. I did a loop through Seneca- as the pics will show- before venturing towards Cherokee. I was quite pleased to make it up the 3 Cherokee hills, snow and all. Again, the primary goal was to keep the rear wheel pegged to the ground. Some of these pics will always remind me of what a beautiful and charmed hour or so it was. Just beautiful, inspiring and cleansing.


These pics are in reverse order, but I'm too lazy to fix them. And that's alright.


Compost Pile



Looks like a near-foot of snow on backyard table.


Near Beargrass Creek on Seneca golf course. It like the lay of the land better when it's covered.



Beargrass Creek


My own version of a track stand.


Old golf cart bridge across creek.


Blowing snow. I think this pic captures the morning best. Bonitisimo!


Looking down PeeWee Reese Rd. in Seneca Park. It's a rare sight to be that empty in daytime.


Flowerbed off Winston about a mile from the house. I like this pic.


Most!

More.

Some.

Comments

Popular Posts