Rat and Cat

Date: June 13 Fri
Mileage: 7 (Crosscheck)
19(LHT)
June mileage: 193
Year to date: 791

I seem to be stuck in this "errand" cycle, which is a great cycle to be in. My afternoon 19-miler was one of running a few different errands- to the Board, bank, post office, LMS (music). What's bugging me is that I can't seem to get up the gumption for the big onmyown country ride. I do so much in-town riding that dragging myself across the city to the outskirts just doesn't seem to be motivating me. And I'm certainly not one to drive to the hinterlands for the purposes of riding there. I hate to bitch about 26 in-town miles, but I'm ready for more, but I can't quite get there. Oh, this morning I tried to find los Sprawls but failed. My stupid ass body woke up at 6.30, nature calling, whic was about 2 hours earlier than I would've liked . I dressed and went searching for that morning 1-hour ride but they weren't there. I rode around a little but didn't have it or want it or something. Blah! I woke up on the wrong side and stayed on the wrong side.

During my afternoon errand riding I was turning into Cherokee at the Daniel Boone statue. I decided to ride down the walk/bike path down the ravine when I heard a big crash/thud/Thunk to my left; the cyclist I had just seen descending had bit the dust in the turn. I stopped to inquire and he said he was fine but that was the 2nd time he had gone down today. It hasn't rained in a while so I'm sure there is some oil on the road. Off the path I turned back onto the scenic loop when the red shirt guy- the crasher- came roaring past me up the hill. Granted, I'm fat, slow and ride a pig of a bike. How much of a pig? I don't know the weight but imagine SON hub, rack, panniers, sprung saddle, fat tires. Nothing featherweight anywhere. Anyway, towards the top the red shirt guy comes practically to a halt. Very, very slowly he was recup-ing from the hill effort, all the while changing gears to make it sound like his derailer would fall off. Perhaps it was a victim of the crashes. Or maybe red shirt guy has no clue how to shift. I pass him in the first downhill turn. He had wrecked twice and was going as slowly as possible. I continued straight onto chauffeur's rest, another hill. And yes, Red shirt guy comes blowing past. And yes, at the top he comes to a near halt, all the while fighting his gears again. He turned right onto Sulgrave to catch his breath, I down the parallel Casselberry. Where the streets combine I was again ahead of red shirt guy. I casually dropped a tooth and plowed on through the neighborhood. After turning left onto Woodbourne Ave., who passes me? Yes, red shirt guy. Once he got to the front I upped the pace, so I upped the ante as well, falling into his slipstream. Without any mention, he comes almost to a dead stop to turn right onto Meadow. I knew the guy couldn't corner, so I flowed left and then right as well, onto Valetta. Had I not known, I might have plowed right into him.

Comments

Popular Posts