The KHS

No, it's not a new bike; it was part of my cycling adventure today. After swapping UltraGatorskins and Pasela TGs via the Crosscheck and Blueridge, 'L' got an invite to play at a friend's house in the neighborhood. I suggested a ride and both boys gladly jumped at the chance. On the way back' Z' and I played ping-pong at church. In between, I test rode a new 26"/15" frame KHS mt. bike with slicks and a front fork. It happened to be 'Z's' bike, much to his dismay. I had just put the Gatorskins on the CC and rode that. At Bardstown and Blvd Napolean- 1.3m from the house- I got a massive and noisy rear flat tire. 'L' and 'Z' were on the sidewalk of the busy B'town. I heard what I thought was the Satanic fan belt of someone behind me. I waited for it to pass, but instead felt that non-lovin' feeling. It was the quandry b/c the boys were with me and we were supposed to be going to his friend's house. Plan B ensued. We rode back up to church. I left Z there with the Crosscheck to wait for his mother, who was supposed to come and let us in the play pingpong. I then rode with L to his friend's house, me styling on the small frame mtbike. It didn't ride too badly, but boy that seat was terrible. The tires were quality city tires and I thought the front suspension fork did a nice job smoothing those city bumps. I noticed the cockpit was a bit cramped, and my largeness perhaps created a bit too much rebound in the fork, but I delivered L and returned to church almost exactly at the time when the good wife was arriving. We played pingpong for 45 and then returned home via the Lakeside route, me riding at first and then walking.

En route I ran into 'Tomassini'. He works at the Bike Depot. I ran into him on a ride with 'Alberto' on June 5. He was riding his tricked-out Rivendell custom home from work. That's quite the commuter bike, don't you think? I admired his various shellacked parts, b/c I just shellacked the Bleriot tape today for the first time. We might plan a RivRide sometime for this fall, he on his shiny RBW and me on my shiny Bleriot. Should be a dandy day, don't you think? He had a Baggins bag on his, and I rather liked the color combo, much as I like the general usefulness of the Carradice.

Comments

Popular Posts