$&#$% Bikers!

Date: Dec 1 Mon
Weather: 35/32F, sleet, snow, rain, windy
Mileage: 15
December mileage: 15
Year to date: 3056

Heckuva commute. Both legs it was cold, windy and sleety. I didn't tell the wife, but I almost got hit today, and it was my fault. I was coming through Germantown towards an intersection with a downhill stop sign and the perpendicular street a through street. I usually roll through the sign and do my best to look for cars, knowing that I see a car there, perhaps, 1% of the time. This morning was cold and I was actually pushing the pace to keep warm in addition to the fact that I had good legs. I didn't really slow down and suddenly I saw a van to my right. I clamped on the brakes and moved rearward to slow down like a mtbike move. Well, it had been sleeting all morning so instead of stopping I speed up and start to fishtail. "Eeks! this could be bad." I try to collect myself and regrip the brakes or something or another. At this point it was "stop, stop, stop...". I sort of turn sideways, leftward, in the same direction as the van. He slowed a bit to avoid me. I don't really know how close it was b/c I was about to @#$@ myself.

Oddly enough, I was actually very calm the entire time, both during and afterwards. Very calm. No fear-or-flight. No quickened heartbeat. It just happened, I assessed, and then I moved on.

Stupid cyclists! Live and Learn.

Comments

Popular Posts