El Clasico

I know ALL of my loyal readers are salivating at the chance to watch the clasico this afternoon @ 4 p.m. Let's see. Barca beats everyone 4-0. They have Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Xavi and a nifty Bojan coming off the bench. Real has a new manager, a mediocre record, and a host of missing starters: Van Nistelrooy, Diarra, De la Red, Torres, Pepe y Heinze all injured and 2 more sanctioned (cards) in Robben y Marcelo. As for Marcelo not being there I'm pleased. I hope he never plays again save some random match vs. Almeria or somebody.

What I celebrate today is the starting opportunity of one Christopher Metzelder. You can't claim he's a terrible player; he started for Germany in the Europ2008. That said, he's one of the most lumbering, untalented, oafish futbolistas I've seen in my few years of watching the juego bonito. And due to the aforementioned issues, he's starting vs. Barca in the Camp Nou. Oh how rich! Sergio Ramos got moved to the left wing as a mano a mano deterrent vs. Messi. From what I've seen of SR this season on his wing play, they might have well used VanderVaart out there. Sergio doesn't have a chance. But again, let's just think of what a beautiful experience it can be have the 'redwood' in the middle, falling down and missing any marking possible vs. Henry or Eto'o. As they say, though, you never know in a rivalry game.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Um, yeah, that's exactly what I was doing today -- salivating about that match.

--Laura
(Just giving you a hard time...)
Anonymous said…
Laura, u have to understand mindless escapism. It keep me from grading.!!
Anonymous said…
Hey, I understand mindless escapism all too well -- I just re-read the Twilight series, which is not well-written literature but is very entertaining brain candy. I think I've read the books four or five times through now.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the game. When's school out for you? Friday's our last day -- woohoo!
--Laura

Popular Posts