Commute No.11

Date: Feb 9 Mon
Weather: 35F/67F!
Mileage: 17.5 (Trek)
Year to date: 375

To hell with 2 different blogs. I don't really care if anybody reads this one or the other anyway. If people do, great. If they don't, then they, YOU have used your time more constructively.

This was the first "real" ride of February after a horrendous and miserable ice storm. Today on the Beargrass Trail I saw the tattered remnants of Old Man Winter, with several sections almost impassable due to downed trees. I felt slow and lethargic, to no surprise. I took the Trek, but tomorrow I think I'll rotate over to the LHT to give me a lazy gear if I need it. Let's be clear too. This afternoon brought 67F and breezy. A complete delight in all respects. We're in for higher-than-normal temps all week. It's too bad I couldn't go for a long one today, but it'll do. It's better than driving. This week brings some medical stuff Wednesday relating to the heart issue, and Thursday is the Bike Summit. That should be interesting.

Today felt good though. Blood in the legs and air in the lungs. Life as it should be.

Comments

bikeolounger said…
Yeah, I saw you from my cage on your ride home today, "threading the needle" between a row of stopped cars and some parked cars by Stock Yards Bank. I don't care what Jackie Green says, it's a move I won't do--it just aggravates too many cagers.

I had the truck, as I had to go direct to Crestwood from work to teach.
Anonymous said…
I read both blogs -- they're both bookmarked. Post what you like where you like.

Glad you got out. It wasn't as warm here, but wonderful on Sunday (about 60 and sunny). I went on a walk and did some jogging, then remembered that I can't jog outside because I can't breathe. Oops. Got carried away in the beautiful weather. It happens.

Enjoy this week's weather.
--Laura
LvilleTex said…
Tom, good point on that one, but here's my rationale. I know that the very right lane of Main there is basically unused by through traffic the way it flows from Market and from parking along Stockyards. If you turn right and stay tight, then you're in no one's way until the lane merges towards the tracks. Under other circumstances, I would not pass traffic.
bikeolounger said…
Tim, it isn't so much about the lane you intended to use, but about the car at the front of the line that may have been planning to use that same lane (right hook), or the passenger in one of those cars that decides to get out without warning (car door!), and the good old Amurriken "take your turn" ideal (that I agree too many motorists ignore if it's themselves that have to wait for their turn). "Threading the needle" is simply not something I will do--too many ways for it to end badly for me.
Unknown said…
Hey, looking forward to the Feb 21 ride. I should be able to make it barring any controversies.
LvilleTex said…
KYPhilo, Great. We'll be posting more info in the upcoming week.

Popular Posts