Ride Stoppage

I seem to have stopped riding my bike. In the mix right now are:
  • normal work/school stuff
  • start of tennis season
  • help organizing World Language Festival (nightmare)
  • other random work crap
  • grading mega-required readings that aren't written in the language I teach
  • boys still doing 4 sports
  • being nice to my wife (trying)
I'm feeling a little swamped and overwhelmed. I could have theoretically ridden today, but I couldn't have imagined the organization involved with multiple trips to school, tennis tryouts etc. Yesterday morning I visited the Cardio doc for a follow-up on my 2 episodes. I wore a Holter last week and, of course, there were no aberrations. Which is good, really. I have the doc's permission to ride hard when needed. He wanted me to wear my heart-rate monitor, but not be a slave to it, so I sent that off today for a battery update. I got the heart rate up to 179 when I wore my Holter, so I know I'm on target for MHR for zone calculations. I don't think I'll do much zone training, but I guess it's good info to have.

His primary, meh, only suggestion? Lose weight. Surprise there. I gotta get serious b/c my blood pressure was up a bit for the first time. I'm already on a heart med and am really, really, really not in the mood to do that whole BP thing unless it's necessary. And it's not necessary if I can control it with weight reduction. So, I'm going to have to read fatguy religiously and buckle down, biking or not.

We also have a good friend in a dire medical state, so I better count my blessings and get on the horse and off the ice cream. Peace.

Comments

Doug said…
This is the time of year I get stressed out just reading about your schedule. Sending you positive energy to help you through the next few months!!
Anonymous said…
Find a plan you can live with, and stick to it, even after you screw it up a few times.

Don't do some "super-human" diet that you can't stay with long-term.

Also, track it all. Write about it, privately if need be, but it's really nice to be able to see the progress when you feel there is none.
Unknown said…
Do what you can to avoid the BP medication. I tried various things and ultimately ended up on medication for mine. I have been through about 10 different medications over the last few years. I think I may have found one that works, but if you can do it through weight loss, it would be preferable.

Good Luck.
bikeolounger said…
Bummer about the lack of miles, Tim. David is absolutely right about the dietary plan. Don't beat up on yourself if you foul up a day on your diet, but work at it.

Some dietary plans allow a day per week as a "vacation" of sorts--you eat whatever you want on that day only, and eat sensibly the rest of the time. It's a good idea--the body gets its fix of not-as-healthy stuff, so it doesn't feel punished with only getting good-for-you fuel.

I've not followed any specific plans for a while, but when I loosely followed the Body for Life guidelines (Bill Phillips), it allowed that break day, and I found that what I really wanted on that day changed for the better over time.
LvilleTex said…
Thanks for the kind words Doug. I am pretty positive given some challenges that are coming my way. I'm going to end 2009 in a better place than where I started from. And you will too! I'm looking forward to reading some Ellis updates. Ellis rides, that is.

Popular Posts