Mixed-Bag Vacation Rides

We're home after a very successful out west vacation. Instead of doing multiple entries (which would bore all my readers to tears), I'll sum up my later rides in this one. I previously rode the St. Louis Riverfront Trail and on the edges of Rapid City. I'm glad I did both, but neither captured much gusto. Hill City provided me an opportunity to ride a portion of the Mickelson Trail, which is a 100m+ rail-to-trail in the Black Hills of SD. Since we had full days planned, I was able to only get out a bit early and experience a portion of it. That morning was cool and drizzly so I wore a rain jacket, which I proceeded to remove in the first 2 miles. As it was, I turned north and went up hill for about 4-5m and then turned around, giving me 2 very different experience, those of steady climbing while being very warm- even in the morning mist-and that of a freewheeling descent pushing a big gear. To be honest, I enjoyed the scenary more while climbing. I'm sure it's a lovely trail start to end, but I really only got a 50min introduction.

woodland phlox in full bloom

nice valley and near my turning around point

typical trail scene near Hill City

My plan (in my mind) was to explore some Nat'l Forest Service roads near our hotel the next morning, but alas. My next ride took place in Rapid City before leaving for the Badlands. In this case, using a city bike map I put together another quick morning jaunt, this one much more fun than the slog that took place the previous Thursday. Rapid City's mostly concrete trial snakes along a river that apparently killed 200+ people in '72. Now, the area along the river is a series of parks, now tied together with this path. I did almost 15m, doing outnbacks along both arms of the trail. It was interesting that the "across the tracks" addage certainly applied to RC. To the west the parks and path were well maintained; across the tracks to the east was decidedly more roughntumble, with some sketchy characters milling about.

Minnelusa River (native American name)

My final ride was the most satisfying, but also the longest, so is it chicken or egg? Good legs+time to appreciate=well-designed facilities? Our last night's stay was in Columbia, MO, where I found a nice bike trail map which would supply me 2 hours of enjoyment. Not only did Columbia have nice trails in and of itself, they also linked up to the well-known Katy Trail of central MO. I took the Hinkson Creek Trail, tying into the MKT trail, and finished up (well, in the middle of my ride) rode a portion of the Katy as well. I came back very, very satisfied. These three combined for a 14m one-way, bringing me to 28 on the day. The Hinkson links several nature preserves and then ties in to a UnivofMissouri "fitness" trail, which is just an extension of the same. The surface here was a nice, compact crushed limestone, one which made for good bike handling and a cushy feel. Eventually those connected to the MKT, which is a central trail leading out of Columbia. I was impressed with the number of users at 7.00a.m., but with such nice facilities, why wouldn't you? The entire trail followed Hinkson Creek, so grades were gentle, something good for a general-use trail such as this. Eventually it tied to the Katy, where I took a left (east) and experienced some miles- maybe 4?- of it before I had to turn back. I suggest anyone to take advantage of this series of facilities; it provided an awfully nice morning ride and something of an experience that I don't think the Louisville Loop/Riverwalk quite meets. Sorry.

Example bridge crossing the Perche Creek. I crossed probably 10 or more bridges, many designed to reflect railroad heritage.


McBaine station along Katy. These had postings of resources, facilities and notes for riders.


Return portion of Hinkson Creek Trail, this being a sideshoot singletrack encircling the nature preserve. I met numermous dog walkers here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now you need a vacation to recover from your vacation?

Glad you had fun!
Anonymous said…
I'm VERY surprised that you didn't mention the great bar that sits at the terminus of the trail in Columbia, MO. -- LuvDoug
Apertome said…
The Mickelson Trail sounds amazing, and it really gets the imagination going, with all the national forest lands surrounding it. The other rides sound fun as well ... I'm glad you got to get out and ride. I hope you had fun during the non-riding parts of your vacation, as well.

Popular Posts