mas Vuelta de cafe

Another Sunday morning, another winter RCCS coffee ride leaving from Heine's. Today, though, was different, if you include 55F temps and sunshine as part of a new reality not seen in 3 months. FatGuy and I were met by Dom and his friend Joe, who's black and red Steamroller I repeatedly admired for its clean lines and bright contrast. I'm pretty sure Dave will have the pics.

As for me, I rode the new Ute to great effect. For a cargo bike I am really, really pleased at its behavior on the road. The stout 47c Contis and 700c wheels have the bike rolling right along. The very upright posture could suggest problem spots, but I was only bothered a bit in the hindside at mile 30+, and I had a wrist go numb only through user error when I leaned wrongly on it for a mile or so. The upright position speaks comfort, great sightlines and visibility for an urban commuter (or any other). I even found myself just once thinking about how much use the LHT will get as a commuter once I get into a rhythm on the Ute, but I also know the LHT can do anything, while the overly large Ute can do some of them. I did find Dom and Dave both admiring it (coveting?) for its utility. Time will tell when it gets more cargo use.

We did a bit of mileage, met Dom and Joe and head for the power duo of Sunergos and Nords. From there we headed back towards Market/Mellwood where they turned off. Dave and I headed through Indian Hills and the park back towards Cumberland Brews, where we engorged ourselves on lunch and a beer. Great, great stuff, especially in the sunshine, especially on a fine, new bike!!

Comments

Laura said…
Sounds like a great day!
Apertome said…
I would've thought a bike like that would be too cumbersome for a 30+ mile ride like this, but it sounds like you did just fine on it.
Anonymous said…
Not at all Apertome. That's the surprising thing about it. I'm looking forward to loading it down to see how it responds then, but empty it's pretty good.

Tim

Popular Posts