Monocog

I did about 1.75hr out in the snow yesterday after our 4-6" last night and today. I took a turn on some local streets first, much to my delight. The pack snow provided a cushy, quick surface for the Monocog. I headed towards Chauffeur's Rest for some trail riding, where I found out the reality of the situation. I was met with close to 8" total of deep, crusty snow. I got absolutely nowhere on the 26"ers, so I turned and head down the hill on road to ride through the park for a while. I climbed, grunted up Maple Rd. and turned onto the trails and did what is the "fun" descent, which was fun again albeit in a completely different context. Over the course of the hill I learned the true benefit of counter-steering, as before that I was constantly losing the front wheel. Once I forcibly counter-steered, I was able to do a little better keeping a line, as much of a line as possible in 6-8" of snow and foot tracks.

After the off-road adventure I turned back onto the road for a while and briefly visited Beargrass Creek Trail, only to find it unrideable with deep foot tracks everywhere. I turned back and did more road miles through the park, only to find conditions getting slushier and less fun. Out of the park I went, towards more neighborhood cruising, before I ended up at Farmington for a couple pics and then home. It was a nice, nice, nice ride, and my local friends who haven't gone out in the white stuff should be jealous.

Farmington, designed by Jefferson and visited by Lincoln, or so they say.



As for the Monocog, I decided today that every bike owner should have one. One online source has a '09 29er for $439, but I picked mine up cheap at my LBS. I have the 26", which I think is the perfect size for our twisty terrain, but I'm sure the 29er is very popular. As for the bike, it's just a little singlespeed, lightweight piece of beat-down fun. The pic shows what unmerciless treatment I've dished out. My monocog, b/c of it's simple brakes, drivetrain and inexpensive price, is my "gross" bike. If it's nasty outside, why not torture the Monocog? I've already replaced one bottom bracket b/c it's my snow bike and I take very poor care of it. My Monocog- which is about 5 yrs old or so- is lightweight, durable, cheap and oh so fun! Any bike garage can afford $450 for last year's model, and any bike rider can use one for all the aforementioned and more. Consider it strongly! (and unfortunately Redline hasn't supported me one bit in this)

Monocog, after I took hot water to the bottom bracket area

Comments

Pondero said…
Those are pretty much the virtues of the Monocog I was thinking about. I glad it does the job for you.
Apertome said…
Seems like a great bike ... I'm sure someday I'll own a single speed. It's not a priority, though.

Popular Posts