Salsa Vaya 2010 con otros

Another hit to the Rivendell legend, the Salsa Vaya. It's ugly, but it does what Rivs do: fat tires, lots of braze-ons, multidimensional, non-"roadie". And, hey, you don't have to get too caught up with sloping top tubes b/c the Hillborne and new Hunqapillar whateve have them too. And look, too, at what Salsa has been up to: Casseroll, Fargo, et.al. And that's not getting into the Surly phenomena.




On a different note, take a gander at this lugged steel Soma Stanyan. No, I have no interest, but does that sound familiar? modern Lugged Steel=I/Grant wave?

And last but not least is one of the many VeloOrange products, in this case the Polyvalent, a "multipurpose frame", in this incantation a dead ringer for the various Albatross-dressed Atlantis Rivs.


I as much as many have a vested interest in the Rivbike ethos. I own two rivs- the less expensive, first Taiwanese Bleriot and the QB, which was cheaper due to a lack of components. I just hope they can weather a changing of I/their principles.

Comments

Pondero said…
Excellent points. These here are interesting times in bicycle land. In general, it seems like more practical choices, but still some things (like horizontal top tubes for production bikes) are becoming more scarce.
Apertome said…
I'm not sure I think the Vaya is ugly. I like the color, except the bits of blue. And the sloping top tube ... ugh. But as you said, Rivendell is going that way too.

I, too, hope Rivendell can survive this, but basically changing their entire lineup, and losing some key features that made them attractive in the first place, doesn't seem like a good start.

Popular Posts