Snow

(I don't like how blogger loads pics backwards. Wordpress, which I don't use except on the RCCS site, puts it exactly where you tell it to)

Got out yesterday morning for a little bike time. I found the conditions rather varied according to how much snow had been compacted. The full 6" was challenging, as it was heavy wet snow. Then you had ruts created from just a few cars passing. This compacted the snow down very nicely, but left a little grit for the tires to latch on to. After that you had very compacted icy ruts that weren't much fun, and finally mushy pavement. I took in a little bit of everything.


I headed toward Seneca, where I had to much to the top of one of the sledding hills (former hole #1 if I'm not mistaken). The Monocog is great for this sloppy riding, but a smaller, spinner gear would be helpful sometimes. The downhill was a fun quick rush. From there I made my way up to Seneca Loop and then dove into the trails near the tennis courts. They were untouched in the snow save a set of tracks I followed. I would guess cat, but you never know. After crossing the bridge I took a left back towards the road. I had thought of doing the far loop, but the heavy snow and gearing made for a challenging push.





From there I used the roads to go through Cherokee, roads which were quite empty compared to Seneca. Instead of climbing/walking/pushing golf course I used the trail cut through up to Daniel Boone and towards Bonnycastle.



I ended the majority of my ride in a most excellent way, stopping for a while at Breadworks for a hot coffee and scone. I further multitasked by buying a new snow shovel from Hortons. Therefore, on the last mile home I was on the bike in snow carrying a snow shovel and a bag of scones for the family instead my winter jersey, a utility cyclist after all. We're off school again, so today is going to be more Nat'lBoard writing and less "fun", although an afternoon ride seems likely.

Comments

Apertome said…
I love the way you worked a couple of nice sections of trail into your ride. Looks both fun and challenging ... glad you were able to get out! We got some more snow, and I'm really wishing I had a snow day to enjoy it.

Popular Posts