Grab Bag

  • Experienced a strange juxtaposition this morning in bike culture world. I headed on the Ute to Breadworks for coffee and breakfast . After my Euro experience, I'm feeling cavalier about helmet and bike clothes usage, so I was sans lid and sporting the flip-flops. As I was reading the paper with my a nice coffee, I saw a big group of club types clumping for the Sunday morning ride. After finishing my coffee, I waded through the lycra crowd- prolly 30 strong- to get my Ute from the bike rack. It was just a strange juxtaposition, me in regular clothes, no lid and flip-flops surrounded on all sides by lycra-clad warriors. One chap talked me up a bit about the Ute, but otherwise it was strange looks all round. Wonder how many of them do any real-world biking? I'm a bit close-minded about it all. If they really want people to see them as more than toy users, then they should use the bike for more than fitness equipment. But who am I to judge? Shut up and ride.
  • Gotta get out for more mileage but these damn World Cup games are crimping my style.
  • Taking 'Z' to Sunday school today, I ran across an interesting trio, two on interesting bikes.
Nicely chromed early-80's Schwinn Traveler, according to Justin (?). Added details include Brooks, front generator hub (I think newer 20"SON, front and rear dynolights), and nice metal fenders. It was an impressive package.

Vic's Heron in all its pimped-out Rivvy glory
  • There were 3 riders in this little grupetto, which I found to be the inaugural Sunday morning 9.00 ride of Vic's Classic Bikes. The story on Vic is that he has a personal collection of more than 1,000 bikes- or is it 100?- and he opened his first official shop just last year in a part of town near my school and Sunergos, God's answer to coffee. (in more ways than one). He didn't last too long there, so he's moved into the B'town corridor. The problem is that now the B'town corridor is more than replete with bike shops- Drew and Derek at OnYourLeftCycles, BardstownBike, Vic's, and Parkside, which is the fixie shop. I feel sorta bad for Drew and Derek because they run a solid little shop, but how do you keep economies of scale going to 4 shops in 2 miles? Instead of 1 or 2 shops keeping busy with maintenance, that business is spread among 4. Tough biz. More problematic, will each of the 4 have to "niche-i-fy" themselves even more, i.e. OYLC the bmx/'cross shop, Vic's the classic steel, Bardstown the mainstream and Parkside the fixie shop. What fun is that? Good for Vic, though, for sponsoring a slow-n-steady Sunday morning ride. And he's got LOTS of nice, classic steel.

New signs posted indicating that the coolest part of the Riverwalk, which happens to be the oft sunken part, is officially closed. They built a trail on a flood plain; it didn't work out.
  • Did a quickish 1.5hr yesterday afternoon post-soccer, pre-supper. Ughh! My wife told me she saw a registered 95F in the middle of the afternoon, and it certainly felt like it! With a finite amount of time, I decided to ride a little harder, and for some strange reason I took the Bleriot. I can't remember a "fast" ride on the Bleriot. I also decided to ride some hills in the Parks at a harder tempo than normal. I acquitted myself pretty well, at least for a little while. Going up hill#5 toward the top I thought my head had caught on fire. I slowed down a bit. #6 was sorta fun b/c I was in an easier gear. I fella passed me with some panache, but I drop down a gear and fought my way back up close to his wheel. 'course, I was wasted after that for a bit. After that, I still did 3 more hills, giving me 9 for the day. My avg speed ended up coming down about 1mph towards the end, but it felt good to ride some tempo for a change. This week needs a long ride if I'm to do the 85m to Lexington in a few weeks.
  • Isn't Blogger getting crafty with their design features? Makes me think they're going to start charging soon.

Comments

Apertome said…
I'm really glad you're getting back in the swing of riding. The heat sure has been oppressive here as well. Ugh.

I was about to write a long thing here about the whole lycra thing, but I'm going to make it a separate post on my blog later. For now suffice it so say that more and more, I'm seeing both sides of that issue.

And ironically, or something, it always seems like utility cyclists always think racer-types are "toy" users, but conversely roadies tend to think utility cycling isn't "real" riding. It's a little weird to me, this sort of in-fighting, although I see where it comes from.

It was weird seeing that chrome bike here, because I'm pretty sure I've seen it on Vic's site before. Vic's Heron is gorgeous!
LvilleTex said…
I agree with the you about the bike use and bike clothing divide. My 2cents? Wear utility clothing when riding utility. Wear roadie clothing when riding roadie. Wear wool if you're a real man.=) My greater point, though, is that there is a strong anti-biker sentiment in this country, as opposed to in many other countries. My theory stems from the simple fact that bikes are seen and used mostly for recreation here in the USA, certainly not as a utility/transpo tool as with my recent observations in Euro-land. I just think it would be triple-great if the many roadies out there- and there numbers have been growing- all bought an inexpensive city machine and made some regular use of it on our city streets. It would instantly increase the number of utility cyclists. I truly believe bike usage would be seen in a different light. My own anecdotal experiences suggest that I don't get too much grief from cars when riding, perhaps because my speeds are slower and my riding is more cautious. In roadie/hammer mode, you're concentrating on the speed, the pace, the breathing, the hammer, and you zone out to the needs of other forms of transpo on the road. You behave differently with the same 2 wheels as you do in commuter mode.

I guess it's not the clothes but the greater vision of how bikes are used, all encapsulated in a brief Sunday morning slice-of-life. You yourself are doing more at-speed road rides, and that's really great. You *are* seeing the other side of the coin now. I would love your 2cents because I know it's a thoughtful 2cents.

Doug too, he rides more miles than the rest of us both in commuter and in roadie mode.

And finally, I have a feeling that gentleman bought the chromed bike from Vic.

Popular Posts