Epic Ride Research Mountain Feed Bag

I alluded quite obviously to a known cycling product a little more than a week ago. I'll straightforwardly say that Christa at ERR more than took care of our dispute and I publicly thank her for it. As suspected, she was having a tough, busy time and things sort of got away from her, but not anymore. Below are pics of the (left side) MFB that I ordered, not necessarily for the QB mind you, but for gravel grinds and long ones.

The only initial impressions are ones based on an easy 25m in-town stroll, so I'll have to put it through its paces to get a real feel for the product. That said, I'm impressed by the build quality. It feels substantial and solid. the straps are ample and well-stitched. The body has some form and cushion built in, which is great for my camera (which may be a primary usage for me), and has enough space for a camera, cellphone, a bar, and a bag of something perhaps. It would also hold another bottle I think. There are also 2 side pockets, one of which held my garage keys, as seen in the 2nd pic.  I think the side stretch pockets would be fine for things all the way in them, but not necessarily long items which could leap out.

The main pocket has an extension "skirt" and at the top a bungeed closure. There's not doubt you could secure valuables inside and have complete confidence. It went on in 2min or less and is very secure with the 3-strap system. I found that its placement didn't bother me a bit, but narrow bars could make for tight spacing. It'll be interesting on the LHT with its narrow 42c 'rando' bars.  I can't wait to put it through its paces on a real ride; I'll pass along my thoughts at that time, but now that it's in-house, I'm very pleased with my initial perceptions. Way to go Christa!




Comments

Pondero said…
I'm confused about what appears to be an attachment to the bars AND the frame. Am I seeing that right? If so, there is the obvious question of turns... Can you explain the attachments in more detail ?
LvilleTex said…
Not to be confused Chris. Even I can work it. It's got a very thick "hooknloop" strap for the bar, a relatively thick "velco/hoooknloooop" strap on the side for the stem and a thin snap strap for the downtube to minimize sway. I just mounted it on my crosscheck and did so via the fork crown and it works fine there too. It's rock solid with all three lash points and mounts in 30sec tops.

I will have to give it a "real" workout at some point, but the engineering feels really good and as is said in some other locales, it really does sit out of the way, although right in front of you.
Apertome said…
Looks like a very useful bag. Looking forward to hearing your comments on it, I could use something like this.

The attachment to the down tube does look weird, it looks like it would interfere with turns. I'll take your word for it, though, that it doesn't!
LvilleTex said…
I'll have to watch the "turn" thing. I have a feeling it's not as drastic as you may think, but look here for more info.
TechNut said…
Could be wrong, but I believe the down-tube strap is designed to be used on the fork crown.
LvilleTex said…
@TechNut Blast from the post past! Yes, I use it on the fork crown as designed (although not too tight).

Popular Posts