Progress

I've had the pleasure of two-wheeled travel 3 of the last 4 days and it's felt good. Wednesday and Thursday were commute days on the Ute. My upper right groin/leg is still a bit sore for last Friday's procedure, so I figured the Ute provided the most straight/non-leaning. Nothing too fancy to report other than that they were bike commutes and not car driving. "Like". Friday I took off because the family schedule was busy and I was tired, and I feel just fine about that.

Yesterday was the first "ride" since the BSF adventure. Dave and I met at Heine's and took a route through Audabon and past Cardinal Stadium and Breeders Cup traffic for points south. Both of us were on our lugged steel single-speeds so the pace was, let's call it, mild. It felt really good to just turn the cranks in the chilly, 31F air. We stopped just south of the Watterson to inspect a pedestrian bridge that Dave had never seen; I had ridden over it some years ago.









Coming down the western side we noticed a very, very sketchy seen, this car- a newish BMW- devoid of engine, doors, truck lid and such. Chop job? Who knows. This spot was both inconspicuous in that it was out of the way, but on any given work day it wouldn't be that out of the way. Mystery.



Having studied the route a bit, Dave wanted to explore this railroad frontage road a bit to see where it led. We didn't get too far, but we did get a train. Notice the graffiti on the pic below.




From there we made our way to the new-ish Sunergos Beechmont store, one which I hadn't visited. It made for a perfect mid-ride warm up. I declined a snack, which is my wont these days, and we headed north again, paying a little more attention to the watch. I had to be home soon enough to family taxi, so the pace wasn't aggressive, but we also didn't make any more stops for pics or treats. Past Central Park and Old Louisville, we went downtown and turned east along market (Cake Flour, sigh...) and then back up Baxter, where I expended the last bit of testosterone of the day, attacking the Baxter hillette up to Payne. From there it was an easy cruise up Baxter to Eastern Pkwy- well, I must mention that we were behind a young lady on a mtbike at Winter and she was pushing a bigger gear than we. It took us a few blocks spinning way on the SS to catch up and pass her. Interestingly, after we passed her she just died off. Dave turned at Eastern and I made my way for Norris and home.  It felt really good to turn the pedals and I'm hoping I can get a Sunday ride too.

Assorteds:
  • First and foremost, I need to do a post that gets 20 or 30 comments. Anybody have an idea how to do that other than do an amazing bike project like Doug?
  • I need to stop spending $, usually smallish $, on bike crap or the good wife is going to wallop me. I spent a bunch in the last month and need to stop. I'm going to make a list soon of my bike action. That will help me remember whether my $$ was well spent.
  • I'm down 12lbs since mid-October. I'm pleased and really not that hungry. After the ride yesterday I took a 1-hr walk during 'Z's soccer tryouts, giving me 3 solid hours of exercise on the day. My right groin/leg is a bit tender today, I have a feeling from the riding more than the walking if experience serves.
  • These fotos are from the new Lumix DMC-ZS6. I might have to take a few comparison pics between it and the Coolpix. I like the interface of the Panasonic. I did notice, though, on the ride that it was harder to keep hold of while moving, something to consider for on-the-bike shots.
  • In thinking about the drowned Canon S90, I came across a post from Vik the Lazy Rando that made me think. He states that he's had good luck with Canon working on wet goods even if they didn't have to, which is why he always buys Canon. I think I'll package it off this week and see what can happen about refurb or replacement. The dunking was certainly my fault, but you never know.

Comments

Popular Posts