Permathaw Ramble

We have sunshine for the first time on record today.

Hyperbole perhaps, sunshine and mid-30s we did have. I wanted to see if the trails were still in working order, as much to avoid another cold road ride. After a warm-up across Casselberry I dove down the first bit of Cherokee trail, this one downhill with some nice partially frozen portions. Towards the bottom I notice some softness and in the exit I notice *lots* of trail softness and some soup to boot. Maybe the trails had thawed faster than expected.

The next portion up towards Hogans Fountain, a section I usually do coming down hill, presented me with instantaneous goop, although I was able to hold a line. I don't like to ride and tear up the trails in this situation, so I thought I finishing this leg and going road after that. I didn't make it. Coming up the dip I didn't quite clear the uphill and stopped. No biggie. When I changed my footing, though, I slipped downhill with the bike taking a tumble too. Once down, "I've fallen, and I can't get up" with viscous mud keeping me from standing. It would've made for a fun Youtube video.  I decided to cut through the trees to the road and ride the mountains of mud off my tires. I rode across the scenic loop and headed for the Beargrass trail knowing that I wouldn't revisit the trails anytime the rest of the day. Up Payne I visited OYLC to shoot the shit. Afterwards, since I was in mtbike mode I rambled around hitting up the various brick alleys in the Highlands, giving it some gusto for a few hills and generally roaming.

It was at least1hr+ of riding, which was in addition to the 5m walk this morning. I even sprinted some hills on my walk!  I'm feeling the need to work the holiday calories off.

Comments

Apertome said…
Sounds like fun. It's surprising, I've seen trails thawing in the low 20s if there's sun. I usually won't even attempt in the 30s, unless that's the low for the day, rather than the high.

I've been enjoying some more rambling rides lately. It's a nice change of pace from planning everything.
Pondero said…
I think you get extra credit calorie burning from cleaning all the extra mud off at the end, right?
LvilleTex said…
cleaning? huh?
Patrick "Bomba" Johnson said…
Hey there! Looking forward to a "more normal" life after the new year chimes in. Hope to get out and ride with you a bunch in 2011.

Hope you're well. Safe riding.

Patrick
Unknown said…
Some offroad riding is better than none.
LvilleTex said…
What's up Patrick? Yeah, I remember well how that little baby thing is. Tough Stuff. Here's hoping you can get out for some fun stuff in '11, especially if it involves the rough stuff. KYPhilo, you got any rough stuff down there?

Popular Posts