Training

This evening's dark, cold and windy ride should be considered "training". Yes, I enjoyed the fulfillment of the endeavor, the sense of accomplishment of a job reasonably well done. But did I enjoy it? I'm not sure. I'm not enjoying this winter, at least as the temperatures are concerned. I complained (apparently just in my mind, not on blog) that December has consistently been 10-15 degrees below norm,including today with a present temp of 30F (and windy!) instead of the average 42F. I've been cold. Maybe I'm old.

That said, earlier I went downstairs and dug out the Sidi winter shoes which I hadn't used it a while. I changed over to SPD cleats to use on the Crosscheck, which had the requisite flashie lights necessary for what would end as a dark ride. I used a thinner wool sock, newspaper bag, thick wool sock, Sidi and toe warmers, and, Hey!, my toes stayed warmer this evening than they did in comparable temps yesterday on the Xmas day ride with Dave. At least it's gratifying to see a little progress in toe warmth. Again, my toes are getting older.

The holiday weight scale has been creeping up and I refuse to go there. I refuse to go back. Like yesterday evening ride with Dave, it may not be about exultant epiphanies on 2 wheels. Sometimes it's about burning a few calories and giving the heart a workout. Training to live a not-obese life.

Training.

Comments

Apertome said…
I'm glad you got out a couple of times over the weekend. I hope you have enough breathing room with all those layers in your shoes. I've been having a few problems keeping my feet warm lately too. Turns out the things that work for 2-3 hour rides don't always work for 4-5.5. Shocking, I know.

Popular Posts