Es quimica

It is chemical, the search for that placidity, that hilltop view o'er the trees and valleys. Or even a sense of calm and measure while at the desk grading yet another paper on yet another day. I prefer getting it from movement, from a long day in the saddle when you get past the initial pain and discomfort of barely-controlled breathing. I can stand to get it in other natural ways too.

What I don't get it from is food, although the hand is constantly reaching for something that might fill that chemical vacuum. I can feel it, the empty spot right there above my eyes, craving something. And I prefer the something to be a spin of the legs, a deep focused gulp of wind, the texture of challenge. But life doesn't always present that, does it? Things happen. Life. Choices you, yourself have made. And you don't have the opportunity to stretch and banter with the body. Instead you reach for some other chemical filler, a formed mound of sugar and fat. Or a quickener of the senses. And the void is filled, albeit for a fleeting moment. And the vacuum gorges if only, but is ready again only a short time. No solution.

Grimace.

Comments

Kokorozashi said…
Catching up again (your schedule sounds even more intense than mine, so I bow to your ability to keep it all on track!).

'Amen' to this post. I never cease to be surprised by the strange relationship between riding and eating -- how I might eat more when I ride a lot, but the eating in question is purposeful, focused. When I don't ride, it's aimless -- as you describe it, at attempt to 'fill that chemical vacuum,' one which fails every time.

Popular Posts