JRA

While my RCCS brethren have a big day (just found out it's cancelled due to family illness. Godspeed) on the calendar today, I have numerous family plans and henceforth limited ride time. Due to my inability to sleep in past, say, 6.30, I was up doing nothing for about 45min before getting out the door a bit after 7.00. While my recent rides have been on other mounts (more to come there), I've needed to get the LHT de-winterized and decided to do that yesterday. All that really meant was swapping out the studs for the well-used ContiTravelContacts and remounting the rear blinky. The LHT was a good choice this morning b/c all the forecasts suggest rain, and lots of it, at some point. Fenders are a blessing, as are stout, all-weather mounts like the Trucker. Because I had done a brisk one hour yesterday (at a speedy 16mph, which is speedy for me) I wanted to roam, to JustRideAround as Lithodale puts it. I think it might be racer jargon for riding one's bike instead of training on two wheels.

The parks were a good opening. Beargrass Creek was quite swollen and I saw evidence of flooding with all the detritus and driftwood on the side of the main road.


New front light, a IQ CYO-R+. I got out too late to give it a darkness test, so more later.



More IQ CYO-R+, courtesy of Jim at Hiawatha Cyclery

Perhaps I should've considered my next choice because Beargrass Creek Trail was a muddy mess, at least in parts. I hit one particular spot and had trouble staying upright. Unfortunately it was at the same exact time that a probably vagrant was walking up the opposite side. I missed him by a fishtailing foot at best.


early morning sunshine


Early on I decided that my destination would be Quills for a cup o' crack and a plate o', well, crack. A half-caff au'lait and cinnamon scone is quite the morning starter. My happenstance my cycling brother Lithodale showed up to grab a cup and we had a good, quick bike chat, until his eldest got antsy, so off they went. Shortly I was away and heading for home, a tidy 14 miles in the bag and ready to hit the rest of the day.

Comments

Doug said…
I enjoyed this picture post.

Nice way to start your day!
bikeolounger said…
The other use of "JRA" is among shop guys, used when talking to Warranty Service folks about a customer's dubious claim that a part failed in normal use. It is one of those acronyms of which we as humans are so fond--semi-related to BSO (bicycle shaped object), which refers to disreputable department-store imitations of bicycles that are largely unserviceable.
Pondero said…
I just spent two days looking at some of the "finest" bicycles made, but the noble LHT is still so good at what it does. What a fine machine!
Apertome said…
Great post. Love the photos ... B&W is a nice touch, but the color ones look great, too. New light eh? I can't even keep up with your upgrades!
LvilleTex said…
Apertome, think about it this way. It's a perfect storm of 2 sources of $$ for bike fun. The storm has now passed. Over. Terminado. Now I won't be able to afford tubes for the rest of 2011.
Kokorozashi said…
Catching up again (should be sleeping instead, I suppose). The LHT looks gorgeous in these shots. We had one in the shop recently, just in for some kind of simple maintenance thing, I think. It was a beauty.

I especially like the shot of your Trucker on the Beargrass Creek Trail bridge, and the story that goes with it. Brings back memories ... I had forgotten how wipeout-inducing that stretch can be this time of year!

Popular Posts