Post-Apocalypse

I've got the post-winter/tennis/work/need-adventure blues. I need to get OUT, but the rain this week and last is making that difficult. We finished last week with a flash flood and 7" of rain on Friday, and Monday and Tuesday of this Spring Break week is more of the same on a smaller scale. Blah.

WEDNESDAY

Google Auto-awesome having fun with flooded portion of fav birding spot Caperton Swamp.

The Cox Park path was very, very problematic. What I took as some occasional dry spots was a solid 1" and deeper of mud, which clogged up everything on the bike.

Eva Bandman Cyclocross Course also a problem.

Butchertown Greenway an even bigger problem.

I drowned my sorrows in a cup o' joe and an egg biscuit, which is my new fav breakfast item in town. Yum!

SUNDAY

I got out Easter morning to take a look at the damage of Friday's mess. This picnic table in Beargrass Creek seems to be incorrectly placed.

Another found item, a recycling bin along Beargrass Trail. The address indicated that the bin cam travelled around 2.5 miles through Cherokee Park flooding to be deposited along the Trail.

I whiled away some time at Please & Thank You with coffee and my first egg biscuit.

SATURDAY

Patrick and I got out for an hour Saturday morning under sunny skies but in brisk conditions. Can't have it all. First time for him crossing the ped bridge.

There was a sportsball game Saturday in Indianapolis. My/Our team lost. It still hurts. I'm trying to reassess my relationship to sportsball, as in reality it has no bearing on life, but again it does. The heart remains heavy.

FRIDAY

Friday provided us two loop-de-loops to contend with, the rain and the fire, in this case from a building fire at the enormous GE complex in the center of the county. This is what it looked like from outside the coffee shop, and understand that the fire was about 5 miles away, and this plume is about 3 miles south. Sinister stuff.

The rain was the other caustic agent in play. First they called for a school delay, and amid preparations, they cancelled school because so many roads were impassable and flooded. By late afternoon it had stopped raining so I went out and took a look.

While passing through Seneca Gardens I spied a noisy hawk gliding to and fro. Later I listened to some calls and my guess is a Red-shouldered Hawk, which are pretty common. The screech was quite distinctive.

Cherokee Park. You can see the "No Net Trail" just below the road. Below that is supposed to be a field and a road. Not Friday. If you look carefully far left behind the diagonal branch you can find a surprise.

Add caption
Another surprise, a little easier to spy. Tough luck.

Intersection befouled. The valley road is one of the busiest in the city for cycling and running. Alas.

I guess you can see why they cancelled school is other county roads were in a comparable shape. No safe, and not much fun for cycling.


Comments

Popular Posts