Brick-a-Brack

I first apologize for the jingoist Anti-Korean golfer thing last night. There's no excuse, but I can't imagine anyone in the known universe save Koreans and Korean-Americans being interested in Korean-dominated womens golf. Should they even be paid?

I should have more commentary on USA/Argentina, but I don't have much. As Bob Bradley stated, they played nicely for 60 minutes, ran out of gas, and were dominated the last 30. Crespo especially was all over the place, more impressive to me than Messi. Por otro lado, I don't know as much about futbol so maybe Messi's mid-field work actually made Crespo look more impressive. I'm pretty pleased with the effort, but certainly wish they could've kept it to 2-1 or 3-1 at the worst.

I could discuss yesterday's the Supreme Court decision on school segregation/race at length, but I'll get all riled up and I don't feel like it. This landmark decision affect me personally b/c I teach in Jefferson Co. and my children attend J.C. schools. We have our boys in a downtown magnet school whose mission is to foster diversity, so obviously the household is one to encourage integration. I think there could be nothing worse for this city than to return to its segregated roots with respects to schools. Yes, the area is racially segregated somewhat in housing. The Black/African-American population by in large lives in the city's West End, Downtown and in a pocket in the center in the Newburg area. Perhaps all those parents want their children to attend neighborhood schools as well. But the 'Ville is already retrograde as compared to the Nashvilles and Indys of the region, and a re-segregation of the public schools can only exacerbate long-standing economic and social ills. My school is about 25% AA. I teach at an excellent school, some would say an elitist magnet school. But AAs have the opportunity to attend and to achieve at high levels, even if they don't always score as well as their East End brethren. No, that's not a racist observation but a statistical one. The decision, at least from the dominant 4, seems to say the hell with integration. Yes, some middle-class white kid may lose 1 spot in 1 school, but that's a dangerous path to go down, one that we're revisiting with the now-entrenched ultra-right court and administration.

Comments

Popular Posts