OtR and 'Dana' Conundrum

We attended a very good concert by the band 'Over the Rhine' last night at a newish space called The 930. This space Sunday mornings becomes the main sanctuary for Sojourn Community Church, of which one of my good friends is a member. I could characterize this church as a post-modern, hipster, fundamentalist, 20-something church that has expanded into the confines of a former elementary building- the former Shelby elementary. After attending a mainline progressive Protestant church for these 10 years or so and after growing up Baptist- which is why I'm "Buddhish"-, I find this amalgam of hipsters, skate punks, artists, and tatooed ones to be all a bit strange. Church goers are supposed to have dresses and sport coats, right?

I digress, but not really. We attended the show in this place, which was a very nice space with comfy chairs and lots of air conditioning and reveled at the lack of smoke and the attentive audience. My wife really loves OtR has seen them now three times, with this she says as being by far the most moving. They is some synchronicity of message in that OtR's foundation is very spiritual and Christian. The good wife says "they are NOT a Christian band" per se, but they sometimes play Christian venues and apparently regularly play some well-known Christian music festivals such as this one in the Netherlands or another one in the UK. The happy couple who is the band (backed by drummer and guitarist this night) met at a Christian University. I'm not here to quibble with the good wife, but they are, in fact, a Christian rock band no matter what she says.

The long-term point of this entry is something that took place AFTER the show, and it brought conflicting emotions on my part. Remember that we were at a church, a new funky hipster church but a church nonetheless. The good wife was inside milling at the merch table and I stepped out just to step out. I was minding my own business when a gentleman who'd obviously not attended the show struck up a brief conversation with me, asking if it was a "Christian show" or something. He was very non-confrontational. I first I figured he was from the neighborhood and was just wandering. While everyone inside had the prerequisite black and pattern and thick frame and tatoo and non-Walmart, this guy was dressed in old cut-offs and a beattohell Tshirt. He didn't "belong". Oh, I forgot to add that this new hipster church is in a marginal neighborhood, with one of their cornerstones of their outreach to "transforming out city". That's why they chose a space near ner-do-wells in the hood, to transform them, right? You can see from my choice of my words where this might be going.

At some point he expressed a need whether he could talk to somebody inside. He didn't ask me for anything, but just wanted to see somebody at the church. You can imagine where this is headed, right? From my occasional time at my wife's church I've seen that all the time folks are coming to churches looking for some kind of handout. I decided to help out as he asked, going in to find someone "in charge". Funnily, this Sojourn crew is also the crew that hangs at my fav coffee spot Sunergos. Oh the irony, as I've stated on this blog before, that I much enjoy the benefit of some good ol' Christian coffee. Well, I had met one of their ministers/preachers/holy leaders once and saw him earlier at the show. He's the man to find, right? I found him in a small group and informed him of the situation, that there was a guy out on the steps looking to talk to someone at the church. The little clique laughed, nicely, saying that in fact their "minister of mercy" (Sisters of Mercy?) was right there in this little group and that I'd found him.

Now it gets a little more problematic, but my story is coming to an end. Bear with me. He stated that the church has no real policy one way or another and that he didn't mind the guy hanging out on the steps asking for $$. No, really, that's what he said. He did nothing. He didn't move. He didn't offer to minister. He just said OK and went on with his post-concert business. THAT is what bothered me. I've seen her/our minister several times break with what he was doing to deal with these types of folks. Yes, the guy probably wanted some booze or dope $$. Yes, you're not supposed to give these folks cash but rather food or a bus ticket or something. Something, but not just say "there is no policy". You're supposed to act as though you care.

I knew and know that alms-giving, charity, giving and the like are cornerstones of all faiths, one of the few universals in all the different traditions. In Buddhism it's 'Dana', Generosity. Once I listened to an interesting podcast about the unattached nature that Buddhist giving had to be. As the giver you're not really allowed to put parameters on the giving. You give b/c you give. That's the appropriate karmic action. This guy may use this $$ for meth, or he may use it to feed himself. I didn't know. After the rejection on the part of the 'minister of mercy', I sat down with the guy on the steps. His story: he just got out of prison, he had nothing, he's been walking around for a couple days, he starting a new job on Monday, he had no ID and couldn't get in to the shelter without one, he just wanted a little cash for some deodorant and a toothbrush and a bed to get himself together. Shit, sounded like a good story to me. Maybe it was all a lie, a big pile of mierda, but it was told to me honestly and forthrightly. He was probably a great lier but he was willing to ask without being confrontational or negative or seemingly insane. He seemed like a guy down on his luck. I gave him $5 b/c I wanted to. Maybe it was a $5 wasted, but to me it wasn't. If he used it for dope then the jokes on me. IF he used it for deodorant, a toothbrush, food or a bed then the better for it.

A quick look at the notion of generosity and giving:

Buddhism- Dana
Sangharakshita-In a sense Dana or giving is the Basic Buddhist Virtue without which you can hardly call yourself a Buddhist. Dana consists not so much in the act of giving as in the feeling of wanting to give, of wanting to share what you have with other people.
Judaism-Tzedakah

The Obligation of Tzedakah

Giving to the poor is an obligation in Judaism, a duty that cannot be forsaken even by those who are themselves in need. Some sages have said that tzedakah is the highest of all commandments, equal to all of them combined, and that a person who does not perform tzedakah is equivalent to an idol worshipper. This is probably hyperbole, but it illustrates the importance of tzedakah in Jewish thought

Islam- Zakat

**One of the 5 pillars even!

Christianity-

**Christianity doesn't do as good a job having one little catch-all term for charity, but this website has verses pertaining to it and this one's whole mission is to deal with charitable giving.

After so many words I guess I've made my own point, however convincing or not. The 'minister of mercy' fell down on the job, and I have to hold into great question a spiritual organization that doesn't answer a basic opportunity to do what they're supposed to do (supposed to in the heart, right?). I did so b/c I wanted to, b/c I thought it was right. And I'm happy with my decision. I hope mr. 'minister' considers his (and that of the other church members there), and I hope Mr. Out-of-Prison finds his peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think what you did was right. My great-aunt used to say that if a homeless person used the money she gave for beer or something, so what? It was a lousy life the person was leading -- people with money have the right to "drown their sorrows," so why not someone with nothing? I think about that sometimes when I am moved to give people money...

And you're right -- the "minister" needed to do more, even if it involved just listening. The thing that people who are on the fringes of our society need in part is to be heard and seen. It sounds like a bogus church to me.

--Laura
Anonymous said…
the person you are referring to as "minister of mercy" is me. i remember that conversation.

working with homeless folks every single day, i can say that giving my homeless friends money is usually the wrong choice. it generally doesn't help. they need help that is much more creative and invested. they need deeper relationships and a holistic approach to caring for them. i have devoted my life to working on this.

the church you are referring to - we are in the process of working through our policy on this right now so that we can know how to respond. as it stands, we don't have a policy. ask again in three months and we'll have something great to show you. if this situation had taken place three months from now, we would have responded very differently.

however, i do agree that i should have gone to have met the guy outside and spoken with him. even if to say, "we can't give you any money, but perhaps there is another way we can help you?" i could have affirmed him better than i did. and i should have listened better in that moment.

my lame excuse is simply that i had just come from a taxing day working with homeless folks and didn't have the relational energy left. i need wisdom on how to raise up more folks within our community to help love folks in these situations in a quality way. obviously, i fall short often. and while i often have a lot of "head knowledge" on such issues, it can still be very hard when the time comes to stand up and act.

i realize you don't know much about me beyond my inaction on that evening, but i'd be glad to talk with you more if you want.

please forgive my inaction. it was wrong.

- jesse eubanks
sojourn community church
jesse@sojournchurch.com

Popular Posts