# 12- la Bici

Date: July 14 Sat
Mileage: 18 (LHT)
July mileage: 234
Year to date: 1181

Got my mileage in 3 chunks today, starting off with a trip to the grocery @ 2m. The next leg was a trip to Joe Creason w/ the family to meet a friend from Philly who's visiting her dad @ 2.5m. The remainder was my post-picnic toodle through Audubon Park, Schnitzelberg, Germantown, Phoenix Hill, and back through Cherokee Pk. I found out after leg #2 that my back brake- now tightly tweaked- may be rubbing some, so it's certainly giving me a workout. I'll have to work on that a bit.
  • Pretty mundane result for the Tour today. I didn't realize it wasn't a mountaintop finish, so a mbig pack coming in together, with German youngster taking all the prizes and no real change to speak of with the heaviest hitters. It was good to see 4 Disco's in the lead pack. too bad Big George couldn't hold the pace throughout. What is to become of him? Isn't Hincapie a rider who deserves 1 big result from his career?
  • The interesting thing, to me, is that of the main favorites, Kloden is first listed among the favorites, with around 30sec to the first batch of main rivals. Firstly, that should worry everyone else b/c Kloden can certainly win, especially with Vino injured. And secondly, it sticks me the wrong way that Kloden of all should still be a leading figure. Here's a guy that for many years was part of that whole dirty Telekom/T-Mobile operation. And when T-Mobile tries to clean up, he runs off to Astana run by former dirty boy Godefroot.
Concerning bikes:
  • Seemingly properly adjusted Bleriot rear brake yesterday. It wasn't releasing well off the rim, even though I could hand move the brake arm. I first lubed things a little and then lightened the tension of the screw on the right brake arm. It seemed to work. Now, I'm sure the right brake will fall off mid-ride sometime.
  • Glued on cork grips on 9.2.5. I've yet to try them b/c I want them to be good and set. It's a nice look with the chrome flat bar, and I hope a better feel than the budget 'Stache bars that it came with.
  • tried mounting a new spoke on an old 'Dale wheel. I realized that, for the moment, I'm out of my element. Better to practice on a beater, though, right?
  • on my night ride last night (redundant?) I became aware that my Serfas taillight was completely out of juice. it's one thing to ride at night and tempt fate, which I do every morning on my work commute, but another to leisure ride at night with not taillight. not smart and something to remedy. The B/C light on the LHT is also pointed way too much upward, so it does a great job letting the cars know I'm there but doesn't illuminate the road one bit.
  • now i have LHT brake work to attend to every slightly.
  • Blueridge needs a rear wheel trued, but I can't find my good spoke wrench of that size. and the Brooks B-17N on that bike is really trashed right now. it got wet and has this droopy side. i rode briefly on it the other day and it's pretty uncomfortable. might have to do leather saddle triage like I saw in the RivReader.
Lastly, I'm planning a big ride for Monday and I'm feeling quite indecisive about it. I'm taking Z to camp in Casey Co. in southern KY and I've made arrangements to have the afternoon to ride down that way. Here are some different options:

Option 1- Casey Co. safe- There are lots of nice country roads in Casey Co., and I've ridden a few before. This would be fine.

Option 2- Casey Co. "Mixed-terrain" ride- northern CC (map) seems to have some unpaved roads, which are very uncommon in my neck of the woods. I could put together a ride of varying length and explore what is probably hard-core territory. These unpaved roads also happen to be in the knobs area, so it could be ridiculously steep. I don't know if I'm fit or brave enough for this, but it's what the Bleriot is built for, right? "Go beyond mundane, paved roads!" I have this gut feeling that this kind of ride would be better in someone's company for sake of mechanicals or whatnot. I'd be SOL way out in the boonies.

Option 3- Shakertown ride(s)- based on some rides found in Joe Ward's "Wheeling around the Bluegrass", this would comprise some classic mid-KY rides in and around well-known Shakertown. I could do around 30 or 50 depending on how I feel. This is listed as my 3rd option, but I'm leaning towards it now b/c I feel my fitness and abilities best match a 50 combining these.

Any thoughts dear readers?

Comments

Popular Posts