Monkey Mind

This is one of my favorite terms from my readings on Buddhism. It is to imply the fractured, frantic, out-of-balanced mind that tends to control me day by day. I say with confidence that my life has been dictated by my Monkey Mind, even though I'm quite shocked how much more competent and functional I am than so many. There are some crazy, dysfunctional folks out there, aren't there? I haven't been meditating much of late until this morning, so my quiet sit was productive in that it was nice to just sit and try to accept the Monkey Mind. Buddhism is so much a state of balance equanimity, the Middle Path, and when you (I) briefly glimpse that state, it's one to consider. I don't want to say strive for or desire, b/c of course those efforts of clinging, desire, would be counterproductive to becoming more at peace.

  • been watching the tour sparingly, though a little. Today's the first mountain stage of note. We'll see how Vino responds given his crash and chase the other day.
  • planning a late trip to Florida before school starts. we're homebodies, so it's a big deal for us to head out. of course, i'm not too much of a home body b/c I went to Spain, right? but that was overwhelmingly done with someone else's $$. my dad, who is very generous, is helping out, so thanks to him.
  • did some gardening yesterday, trying to revive the 2 hybrid roses. i poorly pruned them in early summer so they've been kaput for 2 months. i'm disinclined to use lots of chemicals on the plants these days, so it's a decision to get out the spray bottle of death.
  • Brasil vs. Argentina tomorrow (Sunday). Might have to watch that. And waiting for the next U.S.A. U-20 game. Save Midnight Rider, i don't think my readers are too engaged in the Beckham arrival.
  • does anybody really care about Bonds' record-breaking? it may be another sign that baseball as the "national pastime" is dead. i grew up loving baseball, but i'm just not as interested. the payroll disparity between the Yanks and my Reds is almost insurmountable.


This, to the right, is the "album" cover of Feist, aka Leslie Feist. This is one of the best albums/CDs that I've heard in a long time. It's almost indescribable. She's very eclectic, with hints of jazz, rock, standards and sings with a very smokey, emotive sound. If, dear reader, you are in to Music and not just product, this is some great, great stuff. Some of the reviews are so-so, but I have almost 1,500 CDs to tell me that this girl has it.

Comments

amidnightrider said…
I have tickets to Beck's game in Foxboro. Actually I have tickets to every game in Foxboro.

I'm going with Argentina today and the US in the U-20 tournament.

Even though the MLS is really not that skilled, it is the only option in the summer. (Unless you like baseball). The contest is on to see who will win a championship first, the Revs or the Red Sox, (the pro baseball team).

Popular Posts