Que tarde

it turned out to be a perfect, effete, bourgeoise afternoon here in the Southern/Midwest 'Ville. In liue of watching grain-fed macho American football, I've spent my time switching between the USA/Brazil friendly and the U.S.Open final featuring Federer and Djokovic. Very un-American don't you think? The U.S. didn't play too badly. It would've been interesting to see the match with a real ref, b/c the one today let them wrestle, in effect. As for Federer, he's playing like garbage but staying in it. A true campeon, and probably the greatest.

And another un-American observation was the pathetic McDonald's commercial I saw this afternoon. These two bozos try to one-up each other with how cheap their purchases are (you can imagine where this is going). Then a thin, pretty mid-20s young woman chimes in how she got her double cheeseburger for only $1.00. That's the savior of modern American society!! That $1.00 gives you 440 calories and 23 grams of fat, with the fat content being 35% of your daily allowance. You would have to eat more than 2 bunches of broccoli- or 15 cups- to achieve the same calories. Now that I have a seeming long-term imperative in front of me I may be thinking more in these terms. I remember back in 1999 when I lost 40lbs and felt great that I could taste the lard in an Oreo, making them a most disgusting venture to ingest. Hopefully I can get that discerning again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, I've been doing Weight Watchers for the last two months, and now my stomach is much less tolerant of greasy stuff. In the beginning any kind of change in diet is hard, but you do get used to it. (I had a headache for much of the first week I was at WW, but my body adjusted.) You can do it!
--Laura

Popular Posts