Bowling Green?



These are two maps which are supposed to represent the 19th best place in the U.S. to raise your children, Ft. Thomas, Ky. I'm really confused, though, at the fact that the little push pin seems to indicate Bowling Green in SW KY, the college town of Western Kentucky (WKU) and home of my friend LuvDug. Ft.Thomas, por otro lado, is a bedroom community of Satanic Cincy, home of more KKK and race riots than any place I can think of.

#18 is Jamestown, KY. I know my geography pretty well, and I've NEVER heard of Jamestown. The googlemap indicates that it's in the middle of absolutely nowhere. That's a good place, right? Away from anything and everything?

And finally, a significant number of the "best places" include towns in Nebraska, Ohio and Tennessee. I would rather live in rural Mexico than any of those states. Ohio, from personal experience, is terrible. It smells and the people there are rude. TN is KY's rival, so that's a given. And Nebraska, give me a break!


Vexing, don't you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks to your link, I checked out the list. I agree with you -- most of these places are kind of nowhere. They seem to have a pretty narrow view of a good place to raise kids. Because of where I teach, I know lots of folks who think Center City, Philadelphia is the best place to raise children, and I'm sure it would rate very low according to that list.

In general, these lists place a high priority on being affordable, having good test scores, and having no crime. That rules out a lot of places that are pretty nifty. I also noticed that some places they mentioned (such as Echelon, NJ) are what I would call economically depressed -- not sure lots of families want to move someplace with limited job possibilities.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm happy where we live. :-)
--Laura

Popular Posts