Filter

Yes, it's 6.45a.m. and I'm up. Why? It's an unfortunate but obvious circumstance that I had 3x wine last night and fell asleep at 9 or so. Hence, the body wakes up at it's usual before-6a.m., giving me a rising time of an amazing 5.45 on a Saturday morning. Come mierda.

I came across an interesting post from Sconnyboy this morning, and it alludes to factors from my own life and behavior. The original post concerns some idiot mayor (ex?) in WI who said cyclists riding in the snow should be shot. Sconny does a nice job elucidating the actual events and subsequent responses. Obviously, this mayor unit needs a good swift kick in the ass. I was heartened that the Madison community- radio, TV, etc.- seemed to support that the guy's a jackass. Here in the 'Ville, I'm afraid that, if a prominent public personality (sorry for the alliteration. unintentional) came out and encouraged the shooting of cyclists, there would be an uproar of support. So, we have a 'Filter' problem.

The event further stems from a comment made by a teacher on a right-wing website- boots&sabers- praising Columbine shooters for offing no-good teachers. Yes, a present teacher supporting the killing of teachers. The teach was subsequently fired. What is all the more interesting is that this teach was a former union rep, and most people think he made the comment sarcastically, not at face value. The public's inability, or refusal, to read the sarcasm got him fired! I bring this up b/c I'm pretty sarcastic. I've been told by colleagues, folks I would count as friends, that sarcasm is immature and has no place. Do I disagree? Well, yes. We could all talk like uptight automatons, but I think a little color is nice. I think you should be respectful, compassionate, with your sarcasm, but it can help communicate with a bunch of jaded, ironic teenagers in good measure.

I get myself in trouble, though, with my lack of filter. One time I caught a girl cheating on a test. The previous week she had been misbehaving, talking or goofing off or something, and I told her I was going to "have my henchmen drag her to the guillotine and have her beheaded". Yes, now that I think on it, it was a misguided comment, one lack tact, compassion or filter. But it was obvious hyperbole, and one that endeavoured to send the desired message- "Shut Up!"- but in a wry way. I guess I...no, I was wrong. Well, once she got caught cheating she claimed I had "threatened her with bodily harm" and her redneck parents were LIVID!! It was explained to them by me and by administration that, in fact, I had no henchmen and there was no guillotine and it was a ridiculous comment that was better than receiving a disciplinary referral. I can still remember her dad's big, bushy redneck moustache and bulging eyes like it was today. As recompense for having "threatened her", she was allowed to retake the quiz instead of getting a zero and a disciplinary action as well. In this battle, I had "lost". It was a long time ago, but Filter is what it's all about, at least for us extroverted folk who often don't.

Looking at the course nature of public discourse these days, tact and respect would be the need, not unfiltered idiocy. I am to blame as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, if a kid can't pick up on sarcasm, the world's going to be a weird place. (I have a magnet on my board that says, "Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer.")

I've had a rough week as well, and when a whiny kid who is sort of arrogant kept pestering me about why our class was "behind" the other class in reading about the Trojan War, I told him I didn't give a rat's ass what the other class was doing, and I was doing my job with THIS class. I probably shouldn't have said rat's ass, but I guess it did help get through to him, because he didn't complain the rest of the period. I guess we'll see if his parents complain...

I hope next week is better and that your students recognize humorous sarcasm. That's one important life skill you could teach them. :-)

--Laura
LvilleTex said…
I think I deal out plenty of "education" in that respect. I'm trying to modify my speech a "little" bit, but we'll see.
Yeah, Soglin's not an idiot, and I think he was trying to be sarcastic or ironic or satirical. Unfortunately I don't think the Onion (another of Madison's children) will be offering him a job anytime soon. And actually, though local media reaction was pretty mixed, it's always nice to be reminded that there are those who, given the opportunity, would shove cyclists off the road in a heartbeat.

Yes, filters are important. Still working on getting mine installed...

Popular Posts