Holy S#$T!!!

Date: Feb 6 Thurs
Mileage: 21.5 (Trek400)
February mileage: 67.5
Year to date: 336.5

What a contrast of 2 distinct experiences today, the first being the close encounter of the morning, and the general peace of the afternoon. The commute commute wasn't all that bad. I connected with 'BB' and went the usual route. Every day on this now-usual route I encounter a dicey intersection downtown (Old Louisville) at 1st and Ormsby. Going left on 1st, one encounters traffic turning on to Ormsby and many many cars cut the corner. I pretty much always approach the corner gingerly and make sure the coast is clear. Today 'BB' and I roll up when a large truck turning from 1st onto Ormsby starting cutting the corner even as we were rolling up to stop at the stop sign. Mind you, he was cutting across that big thick painted line that one sees at stop signs. Usually, someone would see well-lighted cyclists and the slow down and move. Instead, this guy starts e accelerating and cutting even more. I kid you his swiftly moving boat was 6" from my left side. Having done so much of my riding in the city the proximity doesn't bother me much, but the accelerating angry menacing mass closing down the space on me sure as hell gives me a rush. He tore off down the street but had to stop at a light. I turned around to get a plate #, but not wearing glasses I couldn't see much at all. By the time I got closer he gunned it and was long gone. 'BB' asked if my heart rate was down any but I never got that adrenaline, "I'm gonna die" rush. It was all quite logical or rationale or whatev. Fact is, 10 minutes later I was more scared than when it actually happened. Whew. Be careful. You never know when it might be your time.

That said, I had a really nice peaceful ride with 'BB' in the p.m. When went Logan/Washington/Spring/Payne towards Crescent Hill, looped to Seneca and then took in Cherokee including Dog Hill before I cut straight for home. As negative as I was at the start of the week, I really enjoyed the ride this afternoon. Laid back, comfy enough, 'BB''s rants to keep me amused and nice 35F temps to keep cool but warm. A better day.

Comments

Popular Posts