The Trench of Arenberg

Date: Feb 24 Sun
Mileage: 13.5 (LHT)
February mileage: 133
Year to date: 404

I had a good time getting out for a short mid-morning ride between various family activities. I had to take L to soccer practice, of all things, at 8.00 this morning. Life is pretty jodida when you have youth soccer at such a time. It's just a game, right?

My route today took me through the neighborhoods down towards Cave Hill. I continued down towards Washington and back up Spring. All throughout this portion of the ride I was pelted by bits of snow and freezing rain. I had a pretty good covering on my legs, but my 'lady boots' protected the toes. Coming back I partook of the Beargrass Creek trail, which was a muddy mess. I pretended to be one of those famous corredores running through the Arnenberg forest in an epic Paris-Roubaix, all mud, guts and slipsliding around. I only foot dabbed once and did a pretty good job holding my line and letting the back end fishtail around a bit. I couldn't do extra miles b/c I had to pick the boys up, but I'm super-pleased to have gotten out this weekend after practically 2 desolate weeks.

It was good to have the LHT going again. It need a front brake tweak. I also made my first attempt at a homemade fender extension, using some step rubber I bought a while back at the hardware store. I'm pretty pleased with the effort and it did do a good job keeping the snow/sleet/rain/mud concoction off my feet today.

On a completely bizarre different note, I just got done watching the Real-Getafe match and what a wacked out experience that was. Getafe generated no offense whatsoever, but every last touch by Real, whether they be several misguided headers from Julio Baptista or a shot here and there by Raul, went awry and missed its target. Frustration. Then in the 64' Robben scored what seemed to be the go-ahead. The Madristas began celebrating when out of nowhere comes a counterattack, 5 Getafes up against 2 poorly positioned Madristas. Goal! Apparently somewhere during the play Raul was called offsides, but somewhere Real missed the call and almost the entire team was caught celebrating instead of running down the Getafe counter. Absolutely bizarre. No one, at least on TV, quite knew whether the ref had screwed something up or whether Real did. Perhaps both. Sin embargo, a 9 point lead- almost 11 until a 90' Xavi score- has vaporized to 2. Barca seems to be picking up steam and Real is flat as a board with half the team injured. Tough times. At least the Pistons put a 30-point beating on Shaq's Suns.

Comments

Popular Posts