Ordenadores

The family, and specifically myself, went from one seriously wack computer on Monday to 2 computers as of today, both of which are honking fast. Monday afternoon we purchased a new HP at Office Depot. I know. It's lame, gauche, cliche and suburban, but as much as I can turn the thing on and fiddle, I don't know shit about computers, and the family, let's say, less. Henceforth we had to go mainstream. I also giggle(d) at students who preached and preached the merits of Ubuntu. I just say to them, "right, right. we'll all drink the kool-aid soon enough". As much of a contrarian as I am about transportation, you would think I would be the same about computers and drink the Apple drink too, but no. Work stuff is too enmeshed with PCs to take that plunge. I just check and iMacs start at $1199. We bought a 500gig/3meg HP for mid $300s. Granted, we already had the monitor, but that's some difference.

HP further came into my world today at a work PD (Professional Development), what in the old days was "in-service". Through some kind of grant, the school system is providing every teacher in our county his/her own tablet computer, an HP Tablet. It has a swiveling display, tablet-writable surface with writing recognition, lots of ed-friendly capabilities, and plus it's fast to boot. And with it they provided us- those who did not have one- an Epson projector. It's a pretty spectacular setup. I have already used projectors quite a bit in my classes, but I will use it all the time, at least for short spells. I've noticed in education that these bells and whistles can't replace a good teacher/student rapport, but I can certainly open eyes to other parts of the world, and of course use the many web resources out there.

The only difficulty now is getting the personal data from the old, dead computer. The hard drive is viable, provided it's clean, but the monitor/video card is all fubar'ed, so it will be dicey getting it lifted. With the PD today and a late bday party after (for 'L'), I didn't get a chance to ride until the boys and I met wife/mother at Buckheads for a quick bite to eat. That's another 2m commuting, and the boys were very enthusiastic. That's good. I'm planning for long rides for this weekend, but no 250m extravaganzas seem to on the horizon. And NY is around the corner for next week.

Comments

amidnightrider said…
Back is ok. #3 son and I are leaving for a week long bike tour of the Erie Canal tomorrow.

As the the field player question.
Our players don't freestyle enough. Like park basketball, DJ of the Celtics called it "woofin".

Most of our players are camp taught. "Square, thru, man on", stuff like that. Too much coaching and little or no imagination.
Apertome said…
You know, you can take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in your new one and either copy the data off of it, or just keep two hard drives in your new computer. If you know how to use a screwdriver, you can do it. Let me know if you want more information.
Anonymous said…
Glad to hear you got two good comps. Now make sure you put some virus and spyware protection on them.

Not that I'm advocating for a particular brand of the stuff. The tech folks here use the free version of AVG virus protection on their home stuff. I'd add spybot: search and destroy (free at download.com) and perhaps Spyware doctor (pay). I'm sure other folks will will have other suggestions...I'm getting to old to keep up with the current trends in tech support.

The LuvDogg

Popular Posts