Commute

Date: August 6 Wed
Weather: 90F and muggy
Mileage: 16
August mileage: 59
Year to date: 1487



I rode with 'Alberto' this morning for the first time on a commute. He lives quite close and I'm trying to steer him in the right direction. He's not unlike me. He sees the potential and idealistic vigor of the commuter/green life; the action is a bit more challenging. The story of today begins last night, though...

We went to ever crappy Phoenix Hill to see a fantastic concert of What Made Milwaukee Famous. I first saw this band on Austin City Limit when they filled in for another band while still unsigned. I really like the vocal style and bigness of the band's sound. (Youtube selection of older lineup) I don't think they've have too much impact, although I heard they played Lollapalloza this past summer. It was easily one of the best $8 shows I've ever seen. They rock and have a great ear for harmonies and vocals. Well, after the show the good wife and I at a late meal while the boys were at Mom's and eventually got home 12.30ish. I set the clock for 5.35 to get a reasonably "official" commute w/ 'Alberto'.

I woke up at 6.05. Oops! Looks like that @#$@# clock didn't work. I was supposed to meet him, on the bike at 6.20. I set the record for a departure of any type. In 15min I got dressed, stuffed other clothes in the bag and grabbed a frozen burrito. At exactly 6.20 I arrived at the Loop to meet 'Alberto', with him arriving a smidge later than I. We took the usual route and he seemed to die a thousand deaths, all at 10mph. Seriously. He does have some exercise-induced asthma, for which I feel bad, but for a skinny guy he's damn out shape. We got to work, though, in one piece.

The return home was less eventful, even mundane, but good in that way. 'Alberto' managed to get his wife to pick him up from work and he came back with his car. I guess he's taking his bike home in the car. I want to give him much credit for trying, but the score can't be too high b/c he couldn't even manage to get the bike home. Phil says, though, that "he will live to fight another day".

Comments

Tom said…
Yeah for Alberto... did you kill him? My first ride was about three miles of pure death. If you haven't biked since you were fifteen.... no matter hos good in shape you are you are using muscles you never used before. SO I would recommend to Alberto a 3-4 mile ride for a week at 8 mph, expand to 5-7 miles the next week. Before long he will be doing centuries if he doesn't kill himself in the begining.
LvilleTex said…
thanks for the insight on patience, Tom. It's a good point. And I'm sure the century boys/girls look down on my 20 and 30m rides too.
Anonymous said…
Oh yeah, I've heard that band on the radio. I liked them. Good to know they're good. I can't imagine staying up that late on a school night, though. You hipster!
--Laura
LvilleTex said…
Just remember that it was a no-kids, set-up day. BIG difference.

Popular Posts