Sunday morning thoughts

It's early and I'm killing time before church. I'm going to start going again some to benefit everyone involved. I figure I have 2 Sundays a month in me. The other 2 may consist of rides, gardens or just sitting around not at work.
  • Even this early in the year, I can remember that fall rhythm of in-week commutes and weekend other. I'm proud of myself for having ridden all days both this and last week, but it saps my weekend riding jones. It's also the case that the weekends are filled with family activities (no soccer this weekend) so there are just fewer minutes and more yard upkeep.
  • I swore I wouldn't watch the Olympics and instead I watched them a ton. Typical. Highlights? The Aussie diving dude beating the Chinese last night. Water polo. Volleyball. The U.S. inability to win sprints now. Usain Bolt. If he's clean he's more a freak of nature than Lance. One of the biggest athletic freaks of all time. Shawn Johnson, cute, spunky, and very well-spoken for 16. I teach 16 yrolds and they aren't what I would call well-spoken.
  • Lowlights? I don't care about Olympic basketball although I still want the U.S. to win. Cycling. Didn't watch much, but it wasn't on much either. No table tennis televised. And I get very tired of being pandered to with gymnastics and swimming.
  • I have alot of yard work to do over the fall. I'm looking forward to the finished product, but not the process, some of which will be back-breaking.
  • The good wife, 'Z' and I saw The Dark Knight last night. We all thought it was very good,but not the earth shattering cinema that everybody kept telling us. And Heath Ledger was very good, but again...I've done some theater and it's not that hard to be over-the-top. It's the nuanced, reserved roles which still reel you in that are difficult. With a Joker performance like Ledger's, you just go over and keep going. Energy isn't a prob either b/c it's film and you can go/rest/go/rest, unlike if you were on stage. I'm not dogging the guy; he's dead. But if he were alive I think many folks would give him a slap on the back and not gyrate so intensly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If an actor dies, there's always a push to say they were the greatest, or that their last film was so amazing. It happened with Brandon Lee and "The Crow" -- an entertaining flick, but not really an incredible one. But people were quick to say how talented Brandon Lee was and how he could have been a major actor, etc.

In my opinion, the evidence that Heath Ledger was a great actor was in "Brokeback Mountain." He was terrific in that.

--Laura

Popular Posts