Mas bags

I commented on an entry from 8/03/08 about interest in a new bag, one not to replace but to "enhance". I feel like I'm covered with saddle bags. I can either use the Carradice Nelson Longflap for big loads or a RBW Baggins Banana bag for smaller ones. In the long term I think the Bleriot would profit from a Big or Lil' Loafer from RBW.

Right now, though, I'm think of how to enhance the cockpit on either the Bleriot, the LHT or the Blueridge depending on the ride. I like the possibility of a camera, snacks and other cositas up front in hands' range.

This below is the standard RBW Baggins Bar tube at $56.00.


Another option is a RBW Kevin's Bag turned around backwards, or obviously forwards if you want it that way (I would have to see). The RBWKB runs $48.00, and I like the look too. I'm not sure of the handlebar bag application, but you never know.


A 3rd RBW option is the more crusty Nigel Smythe bartube bag at $75 and the one below, the NS Compartmentalist, which runs $95. I justo don't think I can do tweed, even though the Compartmentalist is slightly larger and has some pockets. It's a nice offering, but Tweed?



Next we have the offerings from Acorn, with its handlebar bag, which runs $78.00. I've seen these nicely reviews from bikelovejones. I've also heard that Acorn is a bit sketchy with delivery time, but hey, why be in too big a hurry if you're ordering canvas, hand-sewn bags. I like the rear pockets for a camera and glasses, for example.


Acorn's small saddlebag can also be used in the same way. It runs $40.00. It doesn't open rearward, but that's prolly alright.



The next option is from Frost River. Doug in MN recommends these, and I think he bought it/them from Hiawatha, birthplace (well, put together) of the Bleriot. This, the Sawbill Trail Bar Bag (quite a title) seems awfully similar, if not identical, to the RBW BBT, and goes for $37.



And finally we have yet more competition from a new offering from Banjo Bros up in MN. They've introduce a new line of Minnehaha canvas bags. It's small saddlebag, which again could be used upfront although not dedicated, runs $45. They don't have another handlebar-specific bag.



I almost finished up this entry when I just remembered to look at the Velo Orange offerings. They're doing an awfully good job standing toe to toe with RBW right now, and seem to be offering new products every day. When I check out their blog I found a recent entry on new bags. Let's take a look.

This is Velo Orange's "Baguette Saddle bag". It sells for $35, which is a nice price. My Q is about finishing touches. It seems to have no side rings for lashing it down, and I'm not sure it has a 3rd side strap either. Seems like it would wiggle alot, but it has an attractive price, and it must be of reasonable quality.


These are all offerings under $100. I could also go in the direction of one of the larger bags from Ostrich/Velo-orange, but the Bleriot and RBW bike in general aren't built for front loads. It's also a bit of overkill. The one thing missing from all the bags listed in a map holder. I've noticed on my longer rides that I'm a map guy and not a cue sheet one. While a cue sheet is small and tidy and can fit in a pocket, maps are large and call out for a pocket. None of the aforementioned offer a bag such as that. A quick search of Performance brought this basic black handlebar bag with a map pocket for $30 (Isn't everything at PerformaNashbar on sale?). I can't imagine it on the Bleriot, but could see it on the more-utilitarian LHT. Nashbar has several options of bar bags, but, Man, once you've drunk the RBW Kool-Aid, it's hard to go back.

Feel free to chime in dear reader who has more miles than me, and the ones who don't.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Um, I don't see you with a tweed bag. Just doesn't fit. The others are all fine -- choose the one that best fits your needs and that you think looks snazzy.
--Laura
Doug said…
Nice post. There's more options than I realized. I've never used a handlebar bag before, but I'm ready to give it a try. I'm in the same boat as you. I like the canvas, but really would like a map pocket. What to do?
Apertome said…
I don't know how much I have to add. I've got my eye on the Acorn handlebar bag. I like my Banjo Brothers handlebar bag, but it's not pretty and not as well made. Some of the stitching is coming out. However, it does have a map pouch, which is really useful. You can buy standalone ones though, which is probably what I'll do whenever I get a new handlebar bag.

Popular Posts