'Talk of the Nation'

Leaving work today I caught a bit of today's 'Talk of the Nation', which presented the topic of bike commuting and the inherent conflicts on our roads these days. Also included on the website is a 'Blog of the Nation' of a woman in DC who just can't seem (my italics, hopefully imbueing whiny tone) to commute. The 3rd comment down on the 'blog' is from a local 'Ville cycling advocate, and I find his comment especially cogent and fair. I was a little put off by the portion I listened to. It was the same old "cyclists don't follow stop sign laws" tiredness that comes up so often. The last time I checked, drivers don't follow them either, but nobody is trying to use that as a justification for the abolishment from the streets. The host- Lynn Neary I believe- was a bit snarky at one point. Someone having pointed out that cyclists don't like to slow down for clear intersections b/c of momentum, she responded that drivers don't either with an unbecoming school marm voice. You know cyclists get beat up on the local broadcasts and on FoxNews, but when they get the cold shoulder from moderately "pink" NPR you know you're in trouble. I know cyclists are whiny too, but I believe I am doing my own part for my health and for everyone else's as well. Ultimately, there are too many instances when "...be the change..." has to apply, whatever the circumstance, and this is one of those circumstances.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, drivers are often stupid and rude, but people don't generally get on the radio to complain about them (although I would, if I had a radio show). There are some jerks in the world, cyclists included, but generally I do my best to help cyclists out. The streets in and around Philly are not very wide, and it's just hard to fit everyone in. And in Philly itself, drivers are just as likely to nearly hit pedestrians in their "hurry" as they are to nearly hit cyclists. (They're equal opportunity jerks.) I applaud your decision to cycle. I'm taking the train most days next year and will get a little added exercise getting to and from train stations, but it's not green as riding...
--Laura

Popular Posts