More 2009 Repaso

I'm stealing an idea from FatGuy and putting down monthly totals. I find it interesting how much they vary with little rationale. Some months are mega for obvious reasons; I'm not teaching in July and henceforth, the road beckons. Yet I'm in school in February and in November, both cold months, and Nov. brought many more miles. Overall, I had a much better start to the year, getting more miles during tennis season in March, April and May. The Fall was more less inspiring until November's rush. And I was just plain lazy for vast swaths of Dec.

1/2009- 355
2/2009- 159
3/2009- 200
4/2009- 115
5/2009- 307
6/2009- 459
7/2009- 570
8/2009- 257
9/2009- 287
10/2009- 271
11/2009- 447
12/2009- 204

Favs of the Year?:

Jan: Maiden voyage on the RiverCityCyclingSociety, our erstwhile effort to bring something interesting to the 'Ville cycling scene. I'm not sure it's been a particular success, but all the rides have been memorable, and sometimes miserable. And the #$@#$@ ice storm.

Feb: RCCS BrewCruise, nicely hosted by Lithodale. The 1st RCCS ride was visited with painfully cold temps, this one by rain and sleet and 35F. To be honest, it was tons of fun! And the Bike Summit.

March: RCCS Clark State Forest Ride. Is it obvious that, for the virtual lack of "popularity" of the RCCS efforts, I really like the rides, this one even with all kinds of goofy problems.

April: RCCS Paris-Roubaix Redux, one of my fav rides of the year. For the 3rd time in 4, we had atrocious, torrential weather, leading to many flats. It got so bad that we didn't go out for libations afterwards. But the 4th month also brought a special purchase!

May: Two different rides comprised my 5th month favs, a 35-miler up Blunk Knob w/ Dave and a 60-miler on the new QUICKBEAM from Lou to Lawrenceburg. It was quite a try-out for the singlespeed.

June: This was a good bike month, with a Mason Co. country ride on Father's Day, a 70-miler show-n-go with the RCCS and a pretty Indiana Knob ride with Dave, albeit one that almost took my life. =(

July: Had lots of highlights, w/ big mileage, a great-but-taxing mixed-terrain in IN, and a host of vacation rides in South Dakota and Missouri. Of these, by far the best was along the Katy Trail outside Columbia, MO. We had an *outstanding* family vacation to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills. We love SD!! I just looked and I failed to mention my longest ride in a long time w/ my solo 80 at the end of the month.

Aug: You know, not much happened in August on the bike. Mostly a bunch of commutes as school started. Oh well. Oh, and the harddrive died. That's always great.

Sept: The early a.m. hammer-fest w/ Litho and a country ride in Casey Co were the choices here. If the stupid fender hadn't loosened on the Bleriot, the Casey Co. loop would've been much better. Machine-gun fire!!

Oct: Nothing too fancy here. Jimmy's 40oz Fun Run is the winner for October. I also had an adventurous commute w/ broken chain on way to suburbs with death roads. The month was dominated with the dead transmission of the truck. Car-free we are...not.

Nov: Man, now that I look back on it, November provides a panoply of outstanding rides. In no particular order, Dave and my Bethlehem 45er, birthday ramble out in Oldham w/ Dave and Dale (again, I almost died on a downhill), QB50 w/ Dave, pre-turkey country ride in Mason Co., another RCCS Brew Cruise and finally, a really wacky RCCS mixed-terrain ride which became a mtbike ride. Crazy that one was! What a month on the bike!

Dec: Easily the highlight of a low December was the RCCS Henry Co Hootenanny. That was one great 50-miler in nasty conditions.

Great rides with great folks, and come good commuting along the way. That's what the bike is about! I'll finish with a retort as previously stated.

Beauty IS the point, especially on the bike.



Comments

Popular Posts